Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Dear Weakness

God knows how to turn your greatest weakness into your greatest strength.

What is your greatest weakness? Think about it and answer honestly. Is it Fear? Anxiety? Pride? Or maybe it's an addiction or the endless cycle of poor choices? Whatever it is, God knows how to redirect it into a strength. 

My greatest weakness for many years was selfishness. I focused so much on my own wants and desires that it began to consume me. I was so self-involved that I began to see myself as a victim of life. I was the "everything bad always happens to me" kinda girl. I expected things to go wrong, I expected to be miserable because I was so focused on my own feelings of unhappiness. ME ME ME. 

I almost lost my marriage because of my selfishness and life as I know it now may have never existed. Who knows where I would be, what my kids would be like right now, and what kind of situations I would've found myself in. Honestly I don't even know if I would be alive. My greatest weakness could've taken me out.

But God came to my rescue. 

As my marriage was about to crumble and I was about to dive head first into trying to fulfill my own selfish desires, God grabbed hold of my heart. 
Through my husband's unconditional love and desire to not give up on me, I found my way back to Christ. I was finally ready to surrender all of my selfishness to Him. I was ready to take Step One with God and let Him lead the way. 

My journey back to the Lord started with another gift from my husband. He gave me the book Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. As I read it's daily messages my perspective began to change. I started thanking God for the good things instead of complaining to Him about the bad. The more I read that book and the few short Bible verses it quoted each day, the more I craved God's Word! So I began reading my Bible. I began talking to God more and more, thanking Him for anything and everything. 
The more thankful I was, the more peace I felt, and the more peace I felt, the more joy I experienced welling up inside me. True joy finally took the place of the unhappiness that I had felt for 10+ years. 

I was free.

I believe God turned my greatest weakness of selfishness into my greatest strength, because through my story I can help others. My greatest desire now is to HELP people. I just want to help people experience the same life change that I did! I want the world to know the peace and joy that Jesus can give them. 
I want to help other women who would consider themselves a "desperate housewife" to not make the same mistakes I did. 
It is possible to fall in love with your husband again, it is possible to experience unconditional love, it is possible to have peace that surpasses all understanding. And it all comes from a relationship with Jesus.

God took a selfish girl and turned her into someone who desires to love and serve others.  My desire is no longer to please my wants, but to please God. 
I heard a pastor say recently, "Your greatest weakness is your strength misdirected." 

Won't you let Christ redirect your strength today? Let Him turn your weakness into something amazing that only He can do. Take that first step with God today. I did it 3 years ago and I am living proof of His love and grace. God bless you friends.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so honestly. How encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so honestly. How encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Shannon for your willingness to be naked in your walk, sharing your heart fully. I'm excited to see God use you and your hubby to better the Kingdom of God. God bless the journey!

    ReplyDelete