Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Dear Churches

In the book of Revelation, Jesus writes (well actually He speaks and John writes) seven letters to seven churches of the first century. They all have one profound sentence in common: "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
I want you to read that out loud and let that sink in.

The Spirit had words for the churches.  I like to think of it in terms of when I have words for my 5 year old, if you catch my tone.

Read Revelation chapters 2 & 3 and then meet me back here.

Ok so it sounds like a lot these churches had issues, just like today. And none of them were perfect, just like today. So we as the Church today should look at these letters and ask ourselves, which one are we? 
Or a better question, which one am I? Those letters were not isolated to that time. They are meant for us too.

I broke each one down to make it easier to see what was going on:

1. Ephesus- Legalistic

2. Smyrna- Persecuted yet faithful

3. Pergamum- Worldly/serving other idols

4. Thyatira- Allowing a false teacher/corrupt leader

5. Sardis- Fake

6. Philadelphia- Persecuted yet faithful

7. Laodicea- Lukewarm

Sound like any churches nowadays? Only 2 out of 7 were actually keeping His Word and remaining faithful, even under great persecution.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

We are the churches.

Pray with me, "Lord, please help us to be the church that you have called us to be. God if you see any offense in me, if I am lukewarm, fake, or too worldly, then please forgive me Lord. I want to turn from evil and only do what is good and pure in Your sight. Ignite a fire in me to love and serve You more than ever before. Help the church I attend to join me in pursuing You first God. Help us to love each other with a pure, authentic love that can only come from You, so that the world will know we are your followers. Thank you Lord for your gift of salvation, please use me to bring others to You in Jesus' name I pray, Amen!"

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Thank you Shannon for this blog today. He must increase and we decrease. We must remember we are the church, not a building. We must stay true to His truths and have spiritual ears to hear. God bless you and Jason for your hearts and excitement to preach and live the church.♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Thank you Shannon for this blog today. He must increase and we decrease. We must remember we are the church, not a building. We must stay true to His truths and have spiritual ears to hear. God bless you and Jason for your hearts and excitement to preach and live the church.♡

    ReplyDelete