Thursday, June 23, 2016

His Restoration Project

Have you ever restored something? Like an antique dresser or nightstand?

I look at our kitchen table and it is in desperate need of restoration. It's over 15 years old and boy does it look like it! The legs used to be white..but now they are chipped, faded and somehow have food stains on them…not quite sure how that happened. (I blame the babies.) The top of the table is a natural wood color but is looking very dull with craft stains, rough patches, and a lovely ring from an overly wet cup left out overnight. I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't take very good care of this table over the years. When I wipe it down now, it doesn't actually get clean because the filth from all the years has seeped into the wood. I think we just need to take a sandblaster to it.

I feel like I can relate to this table.

I started out clean and new as a young Christian, but as the years went by I got trampled on by disappointment and unfulfilled dreams. I felt unloved so I fell into disrepair. I let the filth of this world seep into my heart and over time it corroded my view on love and marriage. With my negative outlook reigning supreme in my mind, my faith got smaller and smaller. I became stained by this world and the lies of the enemy. 

But God didn't give up on me. He never said, "She's too dirty now, I'm done with her." Or "This is too hard, I give up!" He kept on pursuing me. 

But sometimes the only way to get our attention is to let us fall.

If I were to restore my kitchen table, I would first have to take it apart. And this is what God did with me. 
In order to restore me, He had to take me apart piece by piece. It hurt, but once I was completely broken, I was finally ready to let Him put me back together. I knew He was the only One who could restore my soul.

With great care and patience He smoothes out our rough edges, He chips away at the bad and sculpts it into good. He cleans us. He seals us. He restores us. We are His greatest restoration project. And it's ongoing. He doesn't give up. The day He is done is the day we are face to face with Him and our restoration is complete. We will be perfect. 

But until then, I thank God for all He has done in me and all He continues to do. I know there is still so much work left. At times I still feel like a couple pieces haven't been put back together yet and it's because He is still working on them. As He works, I wait and abide in Him. Sometimes you just have to rest while He restores.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul." Psalm 23:2-3 (ESV)


Please listen to this song and know that "there's nothing too dirty, that He can't make worthy." And know that if you are in pain and hurting right now, it may be because He is restoring you piece by piece. God is good, let Him do a good work in you. God Bless.

"Clean" by Natalie Grant
I see shattered
You see whole
I see broken
But You see beautiful
And You're helping me to believe
You're restoring me piece by piece

There's nothing too dirty that You can't make worthy
You wash me in mercy
I am clean.
There's nothing too dirty that You can't make worthy
You wash me in mercy
I am clean.

What was dead now lives again
My heart's beating, beating inside my chest
Oh I'm coming alive with joy and destiny
Cause You're restoring me piece by piece

There's nothing too dirty that You can't make worthy
You wash me in mercy
I am clean.
There's nothing too dirty that You can't make worthy
You wash me in mercy
I am clean.

Washed in the blood of Your sacrifice
Your blood flowed red and made me white
My dirty rags are purified
I am clean






2 comments:

  1. Amen, refiners fire! Rest in Him, rest in Him, rest in Him... I love that more now than I did 12 months ago. This past year He has been teaching me that, rest in Him. Now, that's all I want to do. I feel the safest and most secure when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, refiners fire! Rest in Him, rest in Him, rest in Him... I love that more now than I did 12 months ago. This past year He has been teaching me that, rest in Him. Now, that's all I want to do. I feel the safest and most secure when I do.

    ReplyDelete