Saturday, June 27, 2015

When God Sees A Rainbow

Long ago in Bible times, after God flooded the Earth, He put a rainbow in the sky. I always thought the rainbow was for us. A covenant with us that He would never flood the Earth again. And yes, it was for that, but when you read it closely you see that it was for Him too.

Read Genesis 9:14-16 with me:

14 When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, 15 and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life. 16 When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” (NLT)

Notice He says, "When I see the rainbow in the clouds I will remember the eternal covenant…"

God commanded a rainbow to appear after every rain to remind Himself not to give up on His creation. He knew that even this new generation of people beginning from Noah would still struggle with sin everyday. He knew that His heart would be troubled and broken over and over by the sins of His children. He knew that He would need that reminder, that rainbow in the sky to calm the storm and bring hope and promise back to Himself.  
God hates sin, so Praise the Lord He made rainbows, because without them, we probably would've been wiped off the Earth already! I know I would've.

So when I first researched why the rainbow was the sign of gay pride I was angry. How could they use something made as a promise from God and turn it into a representation of sin? But after reading in Genesis today, I think the rainbow is the best possible thing they could use to fly above their heads and cover their profile picture with right now. Because when God sees it, it reminds Him to have grace and to not destroy His creation.

Maybe when WE see that rainbow symbol when can also remember that we need to have grace and mercy- and LOVE for that person; not judgments, anger, and destructive words.   You know by my other posts of course that I am not saying to support the sin, (you won't see me changing my profile pic to a rainbow) BUT every time I see one I will pray for that person. I will also pray for myself, that I would not let negative thoughts or judgement come into my heart.

Today we learned that God not only made the rainbow for us, but He also made it for Himself. So if the God of the Universe felt He needed a reminder to show grace to His people, then how much more do we need that reminder?

No comments:

Post a Comment